Wednesday 23 July 2008

July already?!

Well, actually the 23rd of July to be exact!
I've been off work for the best part of a week with flu'-like symptons: feeling hot & sweaty then feeling freezing cold, aching everywhere, feeling absolutely exhausted etc..
Today I finally made an appointment to see my GP who diagnosed me with a kidney infection so I am on antibiotics and have been advised not to return to work until next week. In many ways it is a relief as I was fed up with feeling so lousy and couldn't put my finger on why.
I am definitely prone to kidney infections but fortunately I haven't had one in ages. Other than my blood sugar readings being way too high at the moment and the 'new' tablets not making much impact on my blood glucose I have been reasonably well.
I'm due to go back to the eye clinic next month for routine checks on my eyes which tend to bleed at the backs of the retina. So far I have avoided laser treatment but sadly I know that it will be necessary one day.
I have an appointment at the Diabetes centre in Reading early next month to attend an Obesity clinic run by one of the Diabets regitistrar's. I am quite relieved about this in many ways especially as I put on 14kgs with the last lot of tablets I was tried on, I refused to take them any more after the 14kg weight gain in less than 3 months hence the 'new' tablets which frankly don't seem to be making any difference at all to my insulin resistance. I shall be interested to hear any suggestions that are made re: weight as however hard I try to shift the extra weight seems fruitless, mind you being on the enormous doses of insulin that I am on (2 x 80 units basal per day plus 3 x 60 units = a massive 340 units a day!!) it is no wonder I can't lose any weight. All that insulin and my blood sugars average around 13.5mmol...which is just dreadful!
I get very frustrated at times as you can imagine.

No comments: